Monday, August 01, 2005

final thoughts on her and video games...

I believe that video games, at least up to the T (teen) rating that I have observed, are benign to the vast majority that play them. They don't cause unacceptable behavior nor do they have any real benefit beyond entertainment. There are exceptions to both of these points at the edges of large samples. The bell curve representing large samples are sufficiently concentrated around the mean such that the edges do not warrant study nor funding to deter as it will be too difficult to isolate and correct. Therefore I do not wish anyone in power to allocate my tax dollars to chase a red herring that spins well in the media, but in reality is just a way to boost one's exposure to an end we can all only speculate about.

Observing only my son and a few of his close friends who play these games... When I ask myself, do I think should I encourage this activity? No. Not any more so than say encouraging him to join the chess club. It's not going to be the "trigger" to anything significant.
Then maybe I ask myself, do I think I should discourage this activity? No again. I will regulate it, "T" rating an below, not to exceed the time left over after homework and proper bedtimes. But would do that with activity associated with winning a chess tournament also.

Video gaming is just new. Something seen as very complex and stimulating (both correct observations) that the majority, especially in our age group and older, have never experienced. So a little understood phenomenon gets into the news because a particular game, "Grand Theft Auto", should have gotten a "AO" adult only rating instead of "M" mature. Some might take advantage of the lack of understand in a demographic that tends to be likely voters to make it seem as if they are capable of solving a non-existent issue.

So I am not the least bit concerned about the affect of video games on my children nor on my community. What I am concerned about are politicians that may grab headlines by pushing social agendas that are a waste of time and money, but because of name recognition, audience polarization, and oddly placed sympathies may try to gain advantage within the electorate so they may push an agenda to which I am opposed.

So, the bottom line is... I am not concerned about video games. I am concerned about Hillary Clinton. I do not like her politics nor her demeanor. In her husband I observed a liar and a panderer. In her, I fear that she too is a panderer (no evidence yet of lying) when she grabs on to a non-issue such as this. Not to say that I like Bush any better. Which would we rather have honest/stupid or smart/liar. Alas the last politician that I voted for that I felt good about was Ronald Reagan, and that was in 1984, eleven years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home